Canesten Combi Pessary & Cream for women who have previously been diagnosed as suffering from vaginal thrush Canesten Combi Pessary & Cream clears the cause and symptoms
of thrush. A vaginal thrush infection may cause any of the following symptoms:
- whitish vaginal discharge
- odourless vaginal discharge
- persistent burning
- soreness of the vagina and vulva.
This pack contains a pessary to treat the cause of vaginal thrush and a tube of soothing cream for relief of the itching.
Vaginal thrush is a common infection that most women have at some time in their lives and is not caused by a lack of personal hygiene. It is caused by a yeast (fungus) called candida which may live harmlessly in the vagina without you even noticing it. However, the natural pH balance of the vagina that keeps candida under control can be upset by many factors such as perfumed soaps, hormonal changes (menstruation, contraceptive pill, pregnancy, menopause), poor health, antibiotics, bath additives and tight clothing.
If the natural pH balance is altered the level of yeast increases and can develop into a thrush infection causing any of the following symptoms: persistent burning and/or itching around the vagina and vulva, redness, swelling and soreness of the tissues of the vagina and vulva and a whitish, odourless discharge from the vagina. If your discharge is green coloured, and/or foul smelling consult your doctor as you may have another type of infection which can be effectively treated with a different medicine
How to Use
Wash your hands before and after using the pessary and cream. Insert the pessary into the vagina preferably at night using the applicator provided and apply the cream thinly to the affected area 2 to 3 times a day.
Hazards and Cautions
The symptoms of vaginal thrush should disappear within 3 days of treatment. If no improvement is seen after 7 days, tell your doctor.
- use this product more than 2 times in six months before consulting a doctor.
- put the pessary or cream in your mouth or swallow them.
- use this product to treat nail or scalp infections.
- use this product during your period as it may be less effective.
The pessary should be used in the vagina only. The cream is for external use only. If the pessary or cream are swallowed accidentally, tell your doctor straight away or contact the Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital. reaction to the active ingredient, clotrimazole, or any of the other ingredients in the product. If you are unsure about this, ask your doctor. You must consult your doctor as soon as possible and do not use the pessary or cream if you have any of the following symptoms:
• irregular vaginal bleeding
• abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge
• ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva
• lower abdominal pain
• pain or difficulty in passing urine
• fever or chills
• feeling sick or vomiting
• a foul smelling discharge from the vagina
• redness, irritation or swelling associated with treatment
This is because Canesten Combi Pessary & Cream may not be the right treatment for you. If you are unsure whether you have vaginal thrush, check with your doctor before using this product.
- This is a medicine; Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist.
- Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Suitable for use in Adults between 16 – 60 years of age.
The pessary contains Clotrimazole 500mg.
The 10g tube of cream contains Clotrimazole 200mg (2%w/w).
The pessary also contains lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, lactic acid, maize starch, crospovidone, calcium lactate pentahydrate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide and hypromellose. The cream also contains sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol, benzyl alcohol and purified water.